Hi y’all! It’s Fall! I’ve made The Best Pumpkin Spice Roll. YUM!!
This is a perfect fall dessert! This super tasty and is easier than you may think to make. There’s a delicious pumpkin pie spice flavor to the cake and the cream cheese filling compliments the cake so well. What’s not to like? You’ve got to give this crowd-pleaser a try.
The Best Pumpkin Spice Roll Ingredients:
For the Pumpkin Spice Cake:
- All-Purpose Flour
- Baking Soda
- Pumpkin Pie Spice (here’s my Homemade Pumpkin Spice recipe)
- Granulated Sugar
- Large Eggs
- Canned Pumpkin Puree
- Butter Flavored Cooking Spray
For the Filling:
- Cream Cheese
- Butter, Unsalted
- Vanilla Extract
- Powdered Sugar
How to Prepare the Pan for the Cake
To bake this cake, use a 9×13 sheet pan. To prepare the pan for baking the cake, you’ll want to cover the it with one piece of parchment paper. Use one solid piece of parchment so the cake batter doesn’t leak into any crevices. Cut a piece of parchment paper that is big enough to leave a 1-inch border above the pan.
To keep the parchment paper stable in the sheet pan, first spray the pan with butter flavored cooking spray, lay the parchment in the pan pushing the paper down against the cooking spray, then spray the parchment paper with butter flavored cooking spray.
A sheet pan has a lip whereas a cookie sheet does not.
How to Make the Pumpkin Spice Cake
In a large bowl mixing bowl, with a fork, mix together the dry ingredients; flour, sugar, baking soda, and pumpkin spice. I used my Homemade Pumpkin Spice for this recipe.
Next, add pumpkin puree and eggs to the dry ingredients. Use a blender on low speed for 1 minute. Turn the blender up to medium speed and blend for 2 more minutes to make sure all the ingredients are mixed together well. You may have to use a spatula to scrape the sides of the bowl to incorporate any ingredients not mixed well.
Pour the cake batter on top of the parchment paper.
Using a frosting spatula or the back of a spoon, spread the cake batter evenly in the pan.
Pop the pan in a preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes. When the cake is done, take it out of the oven and let cool for a few minutes.
How to Roll the Pumpkin Spice Cake
Grab with edge of the parchment paper and pull the cake out of the pan and onto a cool surface. This is where you’ll roll the cake. Be very careful. The cake is still going to be very warm and you don’t want to burn your fingers. Slowly, keeping the parchment paper attached, start at one of the shorter ends roll the cake away from you. Try to roll the cake as tightly as you can without cracking the cake. You can use the edges of the parchment paper to roll the cake or roll with your fingers covered with oven mitts.
Make sure the seam of the cake is on the bottom and let the rolled up cake cool for at least 20 minutes. While the cake is cooling, make the delicious filling.
How to Make the Filling
Use a large mixing bowl to make the filling. To the bowl, add cream cheese, butter, vanilla extract and powdered sugar. Use a blender set to a slow speed, at first, because you do not want powdered sugar everywhere! Blend for 30 seconds. Increase the speed of the blender to medium speed and mix another 30 seconds. Set aside the filling and unroll the cooled cake. Using a frosting spatula, spread the filling on the cake leaving a 1-inch border around the edge.
Once the filling has been spread, re-roll the cake gently removing the parchment paper as you go.
Once you’ve rolled the cake back up, cover it in plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour.
Before serving, sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Give this a try and let me know how it goes by taking a picture and tag me on Instagram at #acupoffrosting. Enjoy!
The Best Pumpkin Spice Roll
For the Pumpkin Spice cake:
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2/3 cup canned pumpkin
- butter flavored cooking spray, for pan and parchment paper
For the Filling:
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 3 tablespoons butter unsalted and softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar plus more for dusting
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Cover a 9x13 inch sheet pan with parchment paper. Leave an extra inch of parchment paper over the top of the pan on each side. This will help to remove the cake later when it’s done.
- Spray the pan with butter cooking spray, lay the parchment paper in the pan pushing the paper down, then spray the parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients; flour, sugar, baking soda, and pumpkin pie spice. Add pumpkin puree and eggs to the dry ingredients and mix well. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Using a frosting spatula or the back of a spoon, spread the mixture evenly in the pan.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 15 minutes.
- Once the cake is done, remove from the oven. Let the cake cool for a few minutes before lifting the cake from the pan. Grab on side of the parchment paper and pull up, slowly sliding the cake keeping the parchment paper intact onto another surface to roll. Starting at one of the shorter ends, roll the cake with the parchment still intact. Be careful! The cake is still hot. Roll the cake using the sides of the parchment paper that was not touching the cake and/or use your fingers covered with oven mitts. Let the cake cool for at least 20 minutes.
- While the cake is cooling, make the filling. Add cream cheese, butter, vanilla extract and powdered sugar to a mixing bowl. Use a blender set to a slow speed, at first, because you do not want powdered sugar everywhere! Blend for 30 seconds. Increase the speed of the blender to medium speed and mix another 30 seconds. Set aside.
- When the cake has cooled, unroll it. Spread the filling over the cake leaving 1-inch border around the cake. Re-roll the cake removing the parchment paper at the same time.
- Wrap the Pumpkin Spice Roll with plastic wrap. Keep refrigerated for up to a week. Before serving, dust the cake with powdered sugar. Enjoy!